Estonia makes gift to the Estonian community of Upper-Suetuk
A delegation from the Estonian Embassy in Russia took part on 6 and 7 July in festivities marking the 105th anniversary of the concert band of the ethnically Estonian village of Upper-Suetuk, located in the Krasnoyarsk krai in Karatuz region. Representatives from the embassy conveyed the announcement to the village of a monetary gift made by the Estonian government.
At the 6 June session, the Government of the Republic of Estonia approved an application, submitted in conjunction between the Ministry of Culture and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, to allocate 150,000 Estonian kroons for the purchase of a microbus for the Upper-Suetuk band and school and to support local life in general.
The Upper-Suetuk band was founded in 1901 and has been conducted for the last few decades by village elder Ernst Lell. The musicians of the Port of Tallinn conducted by Heldur Saade also took part in the anniversary concert.
Estonia also donated the funds for a purchase of woodwind instruments for the band, made by Port of Tallinn band leader Heldur Saade and Mati Põdra of the Saxon Wind Instrument Players Society.
The embassy delegation was at the event at the behest of the village council and was received by Vladimir Saar, the chairman of the Karatuz region.
With a population of nearly 300, Upper-Suetuk is the largest village outside Estonia in which Estonians make up the largest ethnic group. Estonians have lived there since the 1850s. Since 2000, a member of the Estonian public service has been working in Upper-Suetuk as a teacher of the Estonian language and culture.
PRESS SPOKESMAN’S OFFICE
6 377 654
50 94 645